Uni OS Logo

Main content

Top content

Language requirements

Preparation for DSH

You can find detailed information about how to prepare for the DSH exam as well as DSH examples on the websites of many German universities, e.g. on the websites of the University of Göttingen, the University of Hannover or the University of Münster.

German language proficiency

To study at Osnabrück University, you will require very good German language skills. Language skills are proven in a DSH examination (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) or TestDaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) with a certain result. As a rule, the DSH examination can be taken in Germany and TestDaF can be sat in your home country. We advise you to take the TestDaF in your home country. There are various TestDaF centers all over the world.

The DSH examination is divided into three different levels: DSH 1, DSH 2 and DSH 3. To find out which DSH or TestDaF level you require to study your chosen program at Osnabrück University, please refer to the lists of undergraduate and graduate programs.

We regret that Osnabrück University does not offer any preparatory German language courses for prospective students.  This means that, to be admitted to Osnabrück University, applicants must enclose proof of the necessary language skills with their application.

If you have not taken the DSH examination or you do not have any other equivalent test results, you may still apply for a winter semester if you have taken the "Goethe Certificate B2". If your application is successful, you will be admitted to the University – but only if you pass the DSH examination. In this case, we will tell you when the DSH examination must be sat. The examination is held just before the semester starts and is offered by the Language Center at Osnabrück University. 

The following documents will exempt you from having to take the DSH examination or TestDaF:

  • secondary school diploma (Abitur) from a German school
  • passing an assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) from a preparatory course taken in Germany (Studienkolleg)
  • German language diploma: Kultusministerkonferenz Stufe II
  • Goethe-Certificate C2 from the Goethe Institute
  • TELC C1 Hochschule
  • A DSH examination from another German institution of higher education

In addition to these documents there are other certificates which exempt from having to take the DSH or TestDaF examination. 

In certain cases, you do not have to take the DSH or TestDaF examination if:

  • you have been accepted to a short-term program  (Kurzzeitstudium)
  • you are a PhD candidate in a School that allows you to complete your PhD in a foreign language

Foreign language proficiency

For some study programs not only German, but also skills in another foreign language (e.g. English) must be proved.