Introduction to German Language and Culture (GLC)
COVID-19: Important Information
While SARS-CoV-2 continues to impact international academic exchange across the globe, including Osnabrück University’s Summer School program, we have implemented safety measures that will allow us to host the 2022 Summer Schools in a way that prioritizes the health and safety of both our international guests and our staff. Of course, we understand that in these extraordinary times, international travel requires a great deal of careful deliberation. In order to help you in this process, we have compiled the most important information in a single document (PDF, 479 kB) that we hope you will find helpful. Please read the document carefully and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
This Summer School offers participants with no prior knowledge of the German language the opportunity to acquire the foundations of German and to experience more than 1000 years of German culture and civilization in and around the city of Osnabrück, the City of Peace. By the end of the program, students will have mastered basic language skills in German equivalent to level A1.1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL).
The programme is a cooperation between the Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) and the International Office at Osnabrück University.
• a total of 50 hours of classroom instruction,
• an interactive lesson design and small group learning,
• hands-on language practice during leisure activities with student partners from Osnabrück University,
• the opportunity for further self-study at the University’s Self-Access Centre (CLS),
• a rich cultural and recreational program plus an optional 3-day trip to Berlin,
• certification of up to 6 ECTS credit points at proficiency level A1.1 of the CEFRL upon successful completion of the language course.
- Name: Introduction to German Language and Culture, A1.1
- Date: July 10th to 30th, 2022
- Credits awarded: 6 ECTS
- Primary language of instruction: German
- Necessary language level: German: none; English: B1
- Course fee: EUR 1300; EUR 1100 for participants from partner universities
- Application: February 1st to April 15th, 2022
Download the application form here (PDF, 412 kB) and submit your application between February 1 and April 15, 2022!
GLC at a Glance
You can download all essential information in a single document here (PDF, 1.53 MB).
Throughout the three weeks, the language course will train all four language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) and will cover grammar and lexis necessary to:
• introduce yourself and others,
• talk about your family and friends,
• go shopping,
• express culinary preferences,
• describe your room,
• tell the time,
• inform others about your daily schedule,
• talk about the weather and the seasons,
• describe what you do in your spare time,
• provide details about your personal interests.
Assessment will be in the form of project work, an interactive oral and a pen-and-paper exam at the end of the course.
Download the application form (PDF, 412 kB) now! Once completed (either digitally or manually), please send the signed copy/scan and all other necessary documents to firstname.lastname@example.org between February 1 and April 15, 2022.
Any questions? Feel free to contact the organizers at email@example.com.