Uni OS Logo

Main content

Top content

Driving license

If you come to Osnabrück by car, it is important to know that you might need a German driving license if you stay for longer than six months.

Foreign driving licenses are valid for short-term stays, but must be accompanied by a German translation or an international driving license in some cases.

Driving licenses issued in EU Member States and EWR countries are valid for longer stays. However, driving licenses issued in other countries are no longer valid if you stay in Germany for longer than six months. You would then need a German driving license if you wish to drive.

Do not wait until the six-month period has expired before you apply for a German driving license. It may take some time for the new license to be issued, meaning that you would have to retake your test if it took too long.

For more information, contact the City of Osnabrück’s Team Führerscheine.