Englisch für das Studium der Physik: Introduction to Academic English
At university, you are regularly reading, listening to, and producing academic texts in English that are different in many ways from the type of texts you encounter in your every-day life. Such academic texts follow their own conventions: they are constructed in a special way and use a particular form of English. Therefore, they may be difficult to understand at first, and they might be even more difficult to produce on your own.
This course is designed to overcome such difficulties and to make you feel more at ease when you are reading textbooks or research articles, are listening to lectures or online presentations, are writing a report or thesis, or are preparing a course presentation or an oral exam in English. Together, we will explore what makes academic texts and the English used in them special and different. In particular, we will address the following issues:
• What do we mean when we talk about academic English?
• What makes academic sentences precise and well-written?
• How are academic texts typically structured?
• What are effective strategies for reading academic writing?
• How are data and the ideas of other researchers used in academic texts?
To get a good grasp of these issues, we will analyze different types of texts, and we will also actively practice the use of academic English in writing and speaking/presenting.
Throughout the semester, the course will alternate between lectures (with input and discussions) and tutorials (with group work and small individual projects). While the examples used in the lectures will be rather general, the tutorials will consider more specific topics and tasks from various areas of Chemistry, Physics, and the Natural Sciences to ensure that the language features discussed can be applied to your course of studies.
Ort: (ONLINE Video Conference)
Zeiten: Mi. 16:00 - 17:30 (wöchentlich)
Erster Termin: Mi , 21.04.2021 16:00 - 17:30, Ort: (ONLINE Video Conference)
Veranstaltungsart: Fachspezifischer Kurs (Offizielle Lehrveranstaltungen)
ECTS-Punkte: 2 bis 4
- Studieren PLuS > Sprachen lernen und Vielfalt gestalten
- Studieren PLuS > Lernen und wissenschaftlich arbeiten
- Veranstaltungen > Für die Studierenden im Zwei-Fächer-Bachelor-Studiengang > Professionalisierungsbereich / Schlüsselkompetenzen > Fächerübergreifende Schlüsselkompetenzen > Angebote zum Spracherwerb
- Alte Studienbereiche > Fremdsprachenangebot > Fremdsprachen > Englisch
- Courses in English > Physics
- Angebot des Sprachenzentrums > Akademische Fremdsprachenlehre > Englisch