Uni OS Logo

Main content

Top content

Nachdenkliche Frau

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a language course cost?

Students of Osnabrück University pay a total of 40€ for a four-hour-per-week language class, and 20 € for two-hour-per-week classes.

Students of the Hochschule Osnabrück as well as employees of Osnabrück University have to pay a total of 110€ for four-hour-per-week classes, and 80€ for two-hour-per-week classes.

Courses in German as a foreign language (DaF) are free of charge for students and employees of Osnabrück University.

Which course should / can I take?

Modern foreign language courses: If you have obtained a language proficiency level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (or CEFR) or have taken language classes and can provide proof of the proficiency level achieved, you may sign up for a course on the next level. However, before you can register for the course, you need to send us a copy of the certificate. Alternatively, you can take part in one of the placement tests (“Eingangstest”).

If you have never before taken a class in the target language, you may only sign up for A1 classes or beginner’s level classes.

If you are unsure about your proficiency level in the target language, please contact one of our language coordinators.

German as a foreign language (DaF) courses: With the exception of ab initio level courses (A1.1), all those interested in participating in our German language classes have to sit for a computerized placement test (for a demo version go to www.onset.de/onset/teilnehmer/cTestBeispiel.do). They are held at the Computer Lab (“Computerlernstudio” - CLS) in building 41 shortly before the start of each semester and you do not need to register for the test in advance. Based on your test score, our team of coordinators will place you in the appropriate level and class. The class lists will then be posted on the Language Center’s notice board during the first week of the term. The test result is binding.

Where do I find information about the placement tests?

On the homepage of the Language Center under “Aktuelle Infos und Termine”. For a sample test go to www.onset.de and look at "Services" at the bottem of the page.

Do I have to sign up for the placement tests?

You do not need to register for the placement tests. Just come to the test venue on the given dates and time slots and take the test for the language you wish to study.

When do I (not) have to take a placement test for a language course?

Modern foreign language courses: You have to take the test if you do not have any official proof of your proficiency level in the target language.

Official proof could be:

  • Certificates from other universities or schools that clearly state your level of proficiency in the target language.
  • Graduation documents (such as an A-levels cert, a German ‘Abiturzeugnis’, or other similar school-leaving qualification certificates) that state a proficiency level according to the CEFR. 

Please send your certificate to Mr Brockmann well ahead of the registration period for language courses, so that we can check whether it is sufficient proof of your proficiency level or whether you will have to take a test.

If you do not have any prior knowledge of the target language, you do not have to take a placement test. Simply sign up for an A1 course on Stud.IP.

German as a foreign language (DaF) courses: You do not have to take a placement test, if you do not have any previous knowledge and intend to participate in an ab initio level course (A1.1) or if you have already successfully participated in a German course at the Language Center and you intend to continue with a course on the next proficiency level.

How do I sign up for a course?

Modern foreign language courses: The dates for the registration period can be found on Stud.IP. Just sign up for your class within the stipulated time frame.

German as a foreign language (DaF) courses: Please attend the first lesson of the course that you have been assigned to. After that you will be registered as a participant on Stud.IP by our team of coordinators.

What should I do if I am unhappy with the proficiency level that I have been assigned to?

If you feel that your language competence has not been assessed adequately, please come and see one of our language coordinators during their office hours.

Do I have to register on OPIuM for the final exam?


When can I see my results on OPIuM?

As soon as we have received all grades from our lecturers, usually about five weeks after the final exam.

What should I do if I do not want my grade to show up on OPIuM?

Please contact VirtUOS and request deletion of the entry.

Why does my test result not show up on OPIuM?

Language classes without a final grade and/or final exam do not show up on OPIuM. If you wish to have your class included in your transcript of records, please contact VirtUOS and present your certificate of attendance.

Where and when do I get my course certificate?

Please pick up your certificate from the Language Center after the grades have been uploaded to OPIUM

  • Certificates for all modern foreign language classes can be picked up from Mr Brockmann, Mr Lauterbach or Ms Sonntag during office hours.
  • Certificates for German as a Foreign Language classes can be picked up from Ms Beinke or Ms Sonntag during office hours.

Can I use the placement test result for an exchange programme application?

No. The test result can only be used for access to our language classes. However, you may take a DAAD test with us.

How and where can I take a DAAD test?

For information about the DAAD test, please consult the Stud.IP group “DAAD-Tests für Auslandsaufenthalte” or mail / call / see Mr Brockmann.

Can I sit for a DSH-exam at Osnabrück University?

Only individuals that have already been granted admission to a study programme at Osnabrück University are eligible to sit for the DSH-exam at the University. Detailed information on the exam will be mailed directly to the all eligible participants by the Office of Academic Affairs (Studierendensekretariat).

I am a student at the Hochschule Osnabrück. How do I sign up for a course?

To register in a modern foreign language course, use your HS user ID and password to log on to the University’s Stud.IP system. Use the button “Login für Externe”.

Courses in German as a foreign language (DaF) are unfortunately only open to University students.

I am not a student. Can I take a language course?

If you are not an employee of Osnabrück University, you unfortunately cannot participate in any of our language courses.

I study at a different university or college. Can I take a course?

Yes, you may participate in any of our modern foreign language courses. However, if you do not study at a university in Lower Saxony, you have to apply for a Stud.IP account with VirtUOS (via email).

How do I enter my bank details on Stud.IP?

We advise you to enter your bank details up to four weeks before the courses start. Please find instructions on Stud.IP under “News” - “Anmeldung zu Sprachkursen”. Alternatively, you can enter your account details during the process of registration for a language class.

Until when can I deregister a language course without having to pay the course fee?

If you deregister a course within the first two weeks of classes, you do not need to pay the course fee. In order to do so, please contact the Language Center via email or phone, or come and see us during our office hours. If you decide to drop out of the course after more than two weeks, we are unable to reimburse the fee.

I feel over-/ underchallenged in my current language class. Can I change courses?

Please talk to your teacher first. If switching courses is advisable, you may change to another class, only if there are free spaces available. This is only possible within the first two weeks of class though. Also consult Mr Brockmann (Foreign Languages for General and Professional Purposes), Mr Lauterbach (Foreign Languages for Academic Purposes) or Ms Beinke about the course change. Please refer to our website for further contact details. Concerning German as a Foreign Language - please come to one of the additional consultation sessions offered at the start of the semester.