|Academic Writing, Module 3: Developing Adequate Academic Sentences in English
|Frank Lauterbach, M.A.
|32/218: Donnerstag. 15.11., Donnerstag. 22.11. 09:00 - 14:00,
32/131: Donnerstag. 15.11., Donnerstag. 22.11. 14:00 - 17:00
|Termine am Donnerstag. 15.11. 09:00 - 14:00, Donnerstag. 15.11. 09:00 - 17:00, Donnerstag. 15.11. 14:00 - 17:00, Donnerstag. 22.11. 09:00 - 14:00, Donnerstag. 22.11. 09:00 - 17:00, Donnerstag. 22.11. 14:00 - 17:00, Ort: 32/218, 32/131
Erster Termin:Do , 15.11.2018 09:00 - 14:00, Ort: 32/218
|Writing professional academic texts such as papers, dissertations, reports, pro-posals, etc. is vital for any researcher pursuing a Ph.D. or a scientific career. Yet, it is also a complex and often overwhelming task that requires a range of specific skills. The three writing modules deal with these skills from different perspectives and can be attended as a complete series, in any order, or independently.
This THIRD module focuses on the stylistic qualities of academic writing in English. We will first identify forms of expression typically found in academic texts and then discuss how to construct English sentences in a way that truly "sounds" English to native-speakers. Through various analytical and practical tasks we are, thus, going to look beyond the mere application of correct grammar and the proper usage of words in order to understand the conventions of academic diction. Finally, we will move beyond individual sentences and analyze how ideas can best be connected and a good flow of text be achieved.
In particular, we will cover the following topics:
• applying the stylistic conventions of academic writing;
• meeting the language expectations of English-speaking readers;
• deciding between active, first-person and passive writing styles;
• becoming familiar with typically academic forms of expression;
• writing clear, concise, and precise sentences in English;
• understanding the structure of English sentences and phrases;
• making effective syntactical and rhetorical choices;
• using nouns to express meaningful scientific concepts;
• connecting sentences and linking ideas to make a text flow well;
• avoiding advanced grammatical mistakes and pitfalls.
This course is part of the interdisciplinary program ENGLISH+. The program addresses typical challenges for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers who want to (or have to) publish and present their work in English. It covers a range of special skills and competencies needed to write and communicate professionally in English and, thus, to become recognized by the international scientific community.
The list below shows the complete ENGLISH+ curriculum. It is divided into (1) three courses that, taken together, include all important aspects of academic writing, (2) three courses that focus on typical situations arising at conferences, as well as (3) an additional course for developing English grammar, vocabulary, and usage. All courses are taught at least once a year, and a certificate can be obtained after having completed a minimum of five different courses.
(1) Academic Writing:
• Academic Writing, Module 1: Writing and Publishing a Research Paper
• Academic Writing, Module 2: Constructing English Paragraphs and Texts (including Dissertations)
• Academic Writing, Module 3: Developing Adequate Academic Sentences in English
(2) Conference English:
• Academic Presenting at Conferences: Delivering Effective and Powerful Talks
• Preparing and Conducting a Poster Presentation: Participating Successfully in Poster Sessions at Conferences
• Communicating Properly in Academic Contexts: Discussing Research, Networking at Conferences, Presenting Yourself
(3) Academic Language Skills:
• Expanding English Grammar and Vocabulary for Professional Writing and Speaking
|Doctoral candidates and postdocs
|Weitere Informationen aus Stud.IP zu dieser Veranstaltung
|Heimatinstitut: Zentrum für Promovierende und Postdocs an der Universität Osnabrück (ZePrOs)
beteiligte Institute: Sprachenzentrum
In Stud.IP angemeldete Teilnehmer: 7
Anzahl der Postings im Stud.IP-Forum: 2