Englisch für das Studium der Chemie und Physik: Introduction to Academic English
At university, you are regularly reading, listening to, and producing academic texts in English that are different in many ways from the type of texts you encounter in your every-day life. Such academic texts follow their own conventions: they are constructed in a special way and use a particular form of English. Therefore, they might be difficult to understand at first, and they might be even more difficult to produce on your own.
This course is designed to overcome such difficulties and to make you feel more at ease when you are reading textbooks or research articles, are listening to lectures or online presentations, are writing a report or thesis, or are preparing a course presentation or an oral exam in English. Together, we will explore what makes academic texts and the English used in them special and different. In particular, we will address the following issues:
• What do we mean when we talk about academic English?
• How are academic texts typically structured?
• What makes academic sentences precise and well-written?
• What are effective strategies for reading academic writing?
• How are data and the ideas of other researchers used in academic texts?
Throughout the course, we will analyze different types of texts to get a good grasp of these issues, but we will also actively practice the use of Academic English in writing and speaking/presenting. For this, we will mix classroom discussions with group work and small individual projects throughout the semester. The topics, examples, and tasks for this course will largely be taken from various areas of Chemistry, Physics, and the Natural Sciences to ensure that the language features discussed throughout can be applied to your course of studies.
Zeiten: Di. 14:00 - 16:00 (wöchentlich)
Erster Termin: Di , 05.11.2019 14:00 - 16:00, Ort: 32/218
Veranstaltungsart: Fachspezifischer Kurs (Offizielle Lehrveranstaltungen)
- Studieren PLuS > Sprachen lernen und Vielfalt gestalten
- Studieren PLuS > Lernen und wissenschaftlich arbeiten
- Schnupperstudium > Schnupper Uni > Chemie
- Schnupperstudium > Schnupper Uni > Physik
- Veranstaltungen > Für die Studierenden im Zwei-Fächer-Bachelor-Studiengang > Professionalisierungsbereich / Schlüsselkompetenzen > Fächerübergreifende Schlüsselkompetenzen > Angebote zum Spracherwerb
- Fremdsprachenangebot > Fremdsprachen > Englisch
- Courses in English > Physics
- Courses in English > Biology/Chemistry