The Department of Ecology at the School of Biology/Chemistry is seeking to appoint a
Research Assistant (m/f/d)
(salary grade E 13 TV-L, 65%)
to commence at the earliest possible date. The position is limited for three years.
- Participate in the DFG-funded project “Eco-evolutionary causes and genomic consequences of synergistic coevolution “
- Perform coculture and coevolution experiments with different bacterial strains
- Reconstruct mutations in different genetic backgrounds
- Conduct growth experiments to analyse fitness consequences of mutations
- Determine the cooperativity of bacterial strains by quantifying their amino acid production rates (LC-MS/MS)
- Spatio-temporal analysis of bacterial aggregates using tools of microfluidics and fluorescence microscopy
- Flow cytometric analyses
- Close collaboration with cooperation partners Dr. Alexander Herbig (Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Antrhropology) and Dr. Alexander Grünberger (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work towards a PhD
- Completed degree (M.Sc. or comparable) in biology or a related field
- Solid practical experience in microbiological techniques and molecular biological methods
- Excellent command in written and spoken English
- Sound knowledge of ecological and evolutionary concepts and theory
- An excellent university degree
- Creative way of working
- Strong motivation and curiosity
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Structured and independent way of working
- Experience in using high-resolution fluorescence microscopy
- Knowledge of quantitative working methods and statistical analysis procedures
- Working knowledge in using programming languages (e.g. Python)
- Ability to develop and analyse theoretical models (population dynamics, individual-based models) is a plus
- An exciting and highly topical research project
- Working in an interdisciplinary and international research team
- Collaboration with other partner groups
- Participation in the excellent graduate education programs at Osnabrück University (ZePrOS, IRTG)
- Access to the state-of-the-art research infrastructure at the School of Biology/Chemistry (CellNanOs)
- Live and work in the vibrant and liveable city of Osnabrück
Osnabrück University is a family-friendly university and is committed to helping working/studying parents balance their family and working lives.
Osnabrück University seeks to guarantee equality of opportunity for women and men and strives to correct any gender imbalance in its schools and departments.
If two candidates are equally qualified, preference will be given to the candidate with disability status.
Please submit your application (including a letter of motivation, CV, copies of certificates) by October 13, 2023 as one PDF file via email to the Dean of the School of Biology/Chemistry (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are very much looking forward to receiving your application.