Osnabrück University’s Institute of Musicology and Music Education belonging to the School of Educational and Cultural Studies, Chair for Systematic Musicology (Prof. Dr. Christoph Louven) invites applications for the position of
Research Scientist / PhD Student
(E 13 TV-L, 65 %)
within the Project “emoTouch Web”, funded by the Volkswagen Foundation, from January 1st 2020 until December 31st 2022.
The aim of 'emoTouch Web' is the development and practical testing of a state-of-the-art web-based research tool for empirical music psychology, running on all current mobile devices, which allows listeners to continuously rate musical live situations or media (music, videos) played by the device in real-time. We aim to collect data from large audiences with their own devices (BYOD), to graphically and numerically evaluate the rating data with new, coordinated analysis tools for desktop computers, and to provide a feedback system that can mirror the ratings back to the performers in the stage area. For further information, see https://systematik.musik.uni-osnabrueck.de/emotouchweb.html.
Description of responsibilities:
- Conception of the software tools in close cooperation with the software development staff
- Conducting of studies for testing, empirical evaluation and conceptual optimization, i.a. by means of studies in real concert situations
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work towards a PhD
- Candidates are required to hold a academic university degree (Master or equivalent) in Musicology, Psychology or another related discipline with an empirical thesis in the field of music psychology
- Willingness to work towards a doctoral degree in musicology in the subject area of the project, in particular in the area of empirical audience research
- Excellent knowledge and experience with methods of quantitative empirical research
- Mathematics / statistics as a second subject or in-depth knowledge of the aggregation and analysis of time series data.
Osnabrück University has been certified as a family-friendly university committed to helping working/studying parents and carers balance their family and work life.
The university aspires to ensure equal opportunities for men and women and strives to work towards a gender balance in schools or departments where new appointments are made.
If equally qualified candidates apply, preference will be given to those with special needs.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail (one single pdf file) to Prof. Dr. Christoph Louven (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrive no later than November, 22th, 2019.
We look forward to receiving your application.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Christoph Louven (email@example.com).