Osnabrück University´s School of Human Sciences, Institute of Cognitive Science invites applications for the following position, to start as soon as possible:
Assistant Professorship in Cognitive Computing
Provided the general administrative requirements are met, the successful candidate will be employed as a public official in a fixed-term appointment for an initial period of three years.
Following a positive evaluation, the position can be extended for a further period of up to three years.
The Institute of Cognitive Science is seeking to appoint an internationally recognized researcher contributing to an enduring enhancement of its international collaborative network.
Description of Responsibilities:
- In research and education, the successful applicant represents the field of Cognitive Computing with an emphasis on theoretical and conceptual work on the learning of representations on different levels of abstraction, such as found in ontologies from real world data.
- The professorship will be tightly interlinked with the DFG research training group on “Computational Cognition” which Osnabrück University has applied for, and specifically related to the research fields “From Signals to Symbols and Back: Neural Representations and Learning” and “Symbolic Thought: Processes on Uncertain and Incomplete Representations”, and will strengthen the profile in the domain of big data science and machine learning. The work will be inspired by deep neuronal networks and modern machine learning techniques. A transfer to applications is welcome. A strong link to cognitive science is essential. This may include cognitive architectures, multi-agent systems, human machine interactions, and neuro-inspired learning. She/he is particularly expected to collaborate with more than one of the existing work groups that are closely related to the fields of processing visual data, machine learning, knowledge representation, and (neuro-) cognitive aspects of language.
- The successful candidate takes active part in teaching at all levels of the Cognitive Science study programs (BSc, MSc, PhD) and is, in particular, expected to offer interdisciplinary courses. All classes are taught in English.
- Candidates are required to hold a university degree, (at the level of Master or PhD) proven teaching skills and experience, and the ability to conduct independent, in-depth academic/scientific work, usually proven by an outstanding PhD (in accordance with the first sentence of Section 30 (2) of the Lower Saxony Higher Education Act [NHG]).
- In particular, she/he has thorough knowledge, as well as a coherent research program, in Cognitive Computing/Machine Learning.
- International experience acquired from employment at universities and scientific institutions abroad, as well as international collaborations, are highly appreciated.
- Candidates are expected to have an excellent command of both the English and German language.
The position is available on a full-time or part-time basis.
Osnabrück University has been certified as a family-friendly university committed to helping working/studying parents and carers balance their family and work life.
The university aspires to ensure that more women are appointed to professorial positions. Applications from women are therefore particularly welcome.
If equally qualified candidates apply, preference will be given to those with special needs.
Applications with the usual documentation should be submitted by e-mail in a single PDF-file to Osnabrück University, Dean of School of Human Sciences, Prof. Dr. Ursula Walkenhorst, Seminarstraße 20, 49074 Osnabrück
(firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than June 1, 2018. Further information can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Gordon Pipa (email@example.com).
We are looking forward to receiving your application.