Main content

Top content

Mobilities to United Kingdom post Brexit

United Kingdom and Erasmus+

The terms of the exit agreement of January 31st, 2020 stipulate that the United Kingdom will continue to participate in the current generation of Erasmus+ programs (2014-2020). This means that, subject to the availability of financial resources, both study visits and traineeships can most likely be funded under the Erasmus+ program until the end of May 2023.

Please note the changed entry and visa regulations:


Study visit with a duration of up to 6 months

Students from EU/EEA countries who are planning a study visit of less than 6 months do not have to apply for a visa in advance, but receive a so-called Standard Visitor visa when entering the United Kingdom.

From October 1st, 2021, EU/EEA citizens can only enter the country with a valid passport (for the entire duration of their stay). In addition, the purpose of the stay is strictly limited to studying. Therefore, students are not allowed to pursue any paid work. Likewise, no traineeships are allowed under the standard visitor visa (see visa requirements for a traineeship in the United Kingdom) and the visa cannot be extended or changed to a student visa.


Study visit with a duration of more than 6 months

Those who want to stay several semesters, have to apply for a student visa since January 1st, 2021. The visa application can be completed online and costs 348 British pounds. The earliest application period for a visa is 6 months before the start of the course and a decision is usually made within 3 weeks.

As part of the visa application, an Immigration Health Surcharge must also be paid for access to the NHS (National Health Service). For students, the fee is 470 British pounds per year.

EU/EEA citizens must submit the following documents for the visa application:

  • Presentation of a valid passport (for the entire duration of the stay)
  • Unconditional confirmation of a place at the host university. You will receive this from the host university as a reference number, the so-called Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which must be specified in the visa application process.
  • Proof of English language skills through participation in a SELT- Secure English Language Test. At least a B2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CERF) must be proven. After taking the test, the student receives a SELT reference number, which must be specified when applying for a visa. Universities (higher education provider) can alternatively evaluate the English language level of the exchange students themselves and, if necessary, request proof of a specific test. In this case the minimum level is also B2 according to CERF.

Proof of financial circumstances is not required.

As soon as a decision on your application has been made, the students receive either a biometric residence permit or, when using the "UK Immigration: ID check app", a digital immigration status.


For trainees, a Temporary Worker- Government Authorised Exchange Visa (T5) is required for a traineeship in the United Kingdom since January 1st, 2021.

To apply for a visa you need a Certificate of Sponsorhip (CoS). The Certificate of Sponsorhip is a reference number issued by the British Council that is required when applying for a visa. It contains information about the position and the participant's personal data and is valid for three months from the date of issue.

For traineeships in the United Kingdom funded by the Erasmus+ program, the CoS can be issued by the British Council. The application for the reference number is processed by Ms. Laura Rohe as Erasmus coordinator and not by the individual trainees at the British Council and is free of charge for students.

To apply for a visa, the following steps are required:

  1. Application for funding under the Erasmus+ Program
    Submission of the complete Erasmus+ application documents for a traineeship to the International Office of Osnabrück University to Ms. Laura Rohe. Due to the processing time for the Certificate of Sponsorship and for the visa, these must be submitted at least 4 months before the start of the traineeship.
  2. Application for the Certificate of Sponsorship
    After the approval of an Erasmus+ grant, a Certificate of Sponsorship can be applied for at the British Council by the Erasmus+ Coordinator. In the following you will find a list of the required documents to be submitted to Ms. Laura Rohe at UOS' International Office:

    • Tier 5 CoS application form
    • Passport copy (all pages, including front and back)
    • Acceptance letter from host organisation for the traineeship, including start and end date and content of the traineeship (issued on official letterhead; signed and dated incl. stamp)
    • Erasmus+ Traineeship Agreement
    • Transcript of Records (in English, stamped and signed by the examinations office)
    • Police clearance certificate (English, when working with children and young people during the traineeship)
    • Copy of the employment contract (for paid traineeships)

    The title of the internship and the mobility data must match on the acceptance letter, CoS application form and Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships.
  3. Visa application (Temporary Worker- Government Authorised Exchange Visa (T5))
    As soon as the CoS has been issued, the visa application (Temporary Worker- Government Authorised Exchange Visa (T5)) can be applied for online. Applying for a visa costs 244 British pounds (German citizens receive a discount of 55 British pounds).

    In addition to the cost of the visa application, you may have to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge INS for the use of the National Health Service (NHS). For students, the fee is 470 British pounds per year.

    When applying for a visa online, you will be asked to select a Visa Application Centre. In Germany these are located in Berlin, Munich and Düsseldorf. You must travel there personally to have your fingerprints and a photo taken, which is necessary for the creation of the “Biometric Residence Permit” as part of the visa application. There is a processing fee of 55 British pounds at the visa application center. A valid identification document (passport) must be brought with you. This must be valid for at least the entire period of stay.

Current information can also be found on the NA DAAD website.

Exemption from the visa requirement for research traineeships

For research traineeships with a duration of at least 2 and less than 6 months at accredited institutions, there is no requirement for a visa.

EU/EEA citizens must present the following documents when entering the United Kingdom:

  • Presentation of a valid passport (for the entire duration of the stay)
  • Acceptance letter from the receiving research institution
  • Proof that the research traineeship is relevant to the degree course, e.g. by providing a letter from the departmental coordinator of your home university explaining the relevance of the traineeship (in English).

Your contact for questions:

Laura Rohe, M.A.

Tel.: +49 541 9694708

Office: 19/E06
International Office
Neuer Graben 27
49074 Osnabrück

Consultation hours:
Phone consultation: Mon 2-3.30pm, Tue 10-12am | Online consultation: Wed 2-3.30 pm, Thu 10-12am