Uni OS Logo

Main content

Top content

Employment while studying in Germany

Further Information

Information on Employment (DAAD)

Are international students allowed to work during their studies in Germany?

Students from non-EU countries enrolled in a regular study program are usually allowed to work 120 full or 240 half working days per calendar year without approval by the Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbehörde).

Besides the 120 approval-free days, jobs as research or student assistants can also be pursued without requiring approval and without any time limits.

Please note: Internship and work placements (paid or unpaid) are regarded as gainful employment and therefore require the approval by the Foreigners' Office. Only required/compulsory internships that are prescribed as part of the study program or that are necessary to achieve the training objective do not require approval.

Detailed information is available from the DAAD information leaflet which can be found on this website.

Students from EU Member States have the same employment privileges as German students. They may work up to 20 hours per week. They may also be self-employed.

Job offers

Many jobs are offered on the University’s Schwarzes Brett (notice board), so keep your eyes open. There is also an online Schwarzes Brett, where local businesses regularly place “help wanted” ads.

Useful advice on how to look and apply for a job is offered by Osnabrück University’s Career Service and the search engine and database of die Federal Employment Office.

Employment in Germany after having finished your studies

After successful completion of their studies, non-EU students can apply for a residence permit for searching a job which fits to their university degree. This residence permit can be issued for up to 18 months.

More information