PROMOS Program for Increasing the Mobility of German Students
Application deadlines for 2021
- 30.11.2020 (for stays abroad in the first half of 2021)
- 30.04.2021 (for stays abroad in the second half of 2021)
The Program for Increasing the Mobility of German Students (PROMOS) offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. It is targeted at all German students (including non-German students who are enrolled full-time at a German university) and is intended to support students who wish to spend short periods of time abroad. These include short periods of study and traineeships including language training and specialist courses.
What types of stays abroad receive funding?
- stays at a partner university or periods of study abroad which a student has organized themselves of up to six months
- short stays at universities abroad, e.g. to write a thesis (one to six months)
- traineeships abroad lasting from six weeks to six months
- language and specialist courses at state and private universities or at established language institutes abroad by students or PhD candidates (language courses: three weeks to six months, min. 25 hours a week; specialist courses: five days to six weeks)
What types of stays abroad do not receive funding?
- periods of study or research abroad as well as traineeships for PhD students
- periods of study abroad in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Croatia, Norway, Switzerland and Turkey (ERASMUS area). Exception: when a further ERASMUS stay abroad is not possible due to previous ERASMUS funding.
- traineeships in the ERASMUS area
- traineeships at international organizations, EU institutions, facilities and organizations that administer EU programs, the diplomatic missions of the Federal Republic of Germany, and the German Humanities Institutes, the Goethe Institutes, the German Archaeological Institute or the German Schools Abroad*
- traineeships for students of Education **
Tel.: +49 541 969-4126
Fax: +49 541 969-4495
Neuer Graben 27
Phone consultation: Mon 2-3.30pm, Tue 10-12am | Online consultation: Wed 2-3.30 pm, Thu 10-12am
- Online Application. You should submit one signed and printed copy to the International Office.
- Application Form
- One informal letter of motivation incl. your reasons for your choice of university or traineeship
- Curriculum Vitae (without gaps, in tabular form)
- Letter of recommendation from a university professor or lecturer (informal letter) – not necessary for language courses under the PROMOS scheme. The professor or lecturer responsible for writing the letter should send it directly to the International Office by internal mail or by email.
- Statement of language proficiency *** (DAAD language certificate, TOEFL, etc.), not necessary for basic language courses under the PROMOS scheme.
- Proof of courses already taken (overview of grades, Transcript of Records, Bachelor certificate, intermediate diploma/examination (Vordiplom/Zwischenprüfung) certificate or similar qualifications
- Confirmation of admission by the host university or offer of a traineeship place at the target company (can be handed in at a later point in time)
*** In the Promos program, the following students are exempted from submitting a language certificate:
1. Students studying “Cognitive Science” (only when English is the language of tuition or company language during the stay abroad).
2. Students of a modern foreign language (only when the language being studied is the language of tuition or company language during the stay abroad).
You should submit a single copy of the application paperwork.
*It is still possible to submit an individual application to the DAAD for traineeships at international organizations, EU institutions, facilities and organizations that administer EU programs, the diplomatic missions of the Federal Republic of Germany, and the German Humanities Institutes, the Goethe Institutes, the German Archaeological Institute or the German Schools Abroad.
**There is a special DAAD funding program available for students of Education wishing to take a traineeship abroad (Lehramt.International).
The PROMOS scholarships are awarded in a combined application and selection procedure together with the Osnabrück University mobility grants. This means that all applicants are automatically considered for both funding programs – you do not need to apply for both separately!