Academic Language Skills: Expanding English Grammar and Vocabulary for Professional Writing and Speaking
A good English language competence is essential for communicating well in international academic contexts. This course is, therefore, designed to help you develop, refresh, and/or expand your knowledge of English grammar, vocabulary, and usage. And, it offers a variety of opportunities to practice your English and apply this knowledge to typical academic writing and speaking situations.
On the one hand, we will analyze how to use adequate words, phrases, and sen-tence structures to professionally express yourself and to best describe the aim and structure of a text. On the other hand, we will consider various rhetorical, terminological, and syntactical ways to effectively articulate common academic topics, ideas, and relationships. Throughout the course, we will also discuss typical grammatical problems and often-confused words as well as reflect upon techniques to acquire, activate, and memorize relevant vocabulary and grammar rules.
Some of the topics we will cover are:
• avoiding typical mistakes with grammar (e.g., tenses, if-clauses, adverbs, plural forms) and vocabulary
(e.g., prepositions, academic usage, confusing words);
• reporting research and referring to images or data in figures and tables;
• agreeing and disagreeing with others and stating one's opinion;
• emphasizing or hedging a point and expressing certainty/uncertainty;
• describing objects, processes, developments, problems, and solutions;
• indicating and explaining cause-and-effect relationships;
• comparing, contrasting, and expressing difference and similarity;
• defining, explaining, classifying, exemplifying, and summarizing ideas;
• stating aims or intentions and introducing parts or sections of a text;
• linking thoughts and marking the organization of a text passage.
This course is part of the interdisciplinary program ENGLISH+. The program addresses typical challenges for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers who want to (or have to) publish and present their work in English. It covers a range of special skills and competencies needed to write and communicate professionally in English and, thus, to become recognized by the international scientific community.
The list below shows the complete ENGLISH+ curriculum. It is divided into (1) three courses that, taken together, include all important aspects of academic writing, (2) three courses that focus on typical situations arising at conferences, as well as (3) an additional course for developing English grammar, vocabulary, and usage. All courses are taught at least once a year, and a certificate can be obtained after having completed a minimum of five different courses.
(1) Academic Writing:
• Academic Writing, Module 1: Writing and Publishing a Research Paper
• Academic Writing, Module 2: Constructing English Paragraphs and Texts (including Dissertations)
• Academic Writing, Module 3: Developing Adequate Academic Sentences in English
(2) Conference English:
• Academic Presenting at Conferences: Delivering Effective and Powerful Talks
• Preparing and Conducting a Poster Presentation: Participating Successfully in Poster Sessions at
• Communicating Properly in Academic Contexts: Discussing Research, Networking at Conferences,
(3) Academic Language Skills:
• Expanding English Grammar and Vocabulary for Professional Writing and Speaking
Zeiten: Mi. 08:30 - 11:00 (wöchentlich), Termine am Mittwoch. 12.02.20 08:30 - 11:00
Erster Termin: Mi , 06.11.2019 08:30 - 11:00, Ort: 32/372
Veranstaltungsart: Fachspezifischer Kurs (Offizielle Lehrveranstaltungen)
- Angebot des Zentrums für Promovierende (ZePrOs) > Arbeitstechniken sowie Sprach- und Medienkompetenzen